- Founded in 1981, Horizon Air is a wholly owned subsidiary of Alaska Air Group with headquarters and training facilities in Seattle and Portland.
- Horizon Air operates 30 E175 and 32 Q400 76-seat aircraft for Alaska Airlines. There are options for up to 30 more E175s.
- New hire pilots choose the airframe they want to fly.
- As of December 2019, all Q400 new hire pilots receive a $20,000 bonus, $15,000 upon completion of Initial Operating Experience (IOE) and $5,000 18 months after date of hire. For Q400 pilots with 500 hours or more of qualifying Part 121 time, an additional $5,000 experience bonus is available upon completion of IOE for a total bonus of $25,000.
- All E175 new hire pilots receive a $10,000 bonus, $5,000 upon completion of IOE and $5,000 18 months after date of hire. For E175 pilots with 500 hours or more of qualifying Part 121 time, an additional $5,000 experience bonus is available upon completion of IOE for a total bonus of $15,000.
- Rotor Transition Program. Horizon provides up to $25,000 in flight training assistance for military or civilian rotor wing pilots. Upon completion of ATP/R-ATP minimums, receive a class date with Horizon and a $15,000 sign-on bonus.
- Pilot Development Program. Private pilots receive a $7,500 stipend, have opportunities to develop skills through mentoring from a professional pilot, and be included in special events. Upon completion of ATP/R-ATP minimums, receive a class date with Horizon Air.
- Part 135 Pathways. Pilots flying for a Horizon partner Part 135 operator will have the opportunity to interview with Horizon while you’re still accumulating the required hours for your ATP certification.
- Horizon Air covers the cost of the ATP-CTP course for candidates needing to complete the exam prior to training.
- Alaska Airlines Pathways Program. Alaska Airlines targets to hire 30-50% of its new hires from Horizon, in 2019 the actual number was 40%. In the past 3 years, Alaska Airlines has hired over 200 Horizon Air pilots.
- E175 crew bases in Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX), and Paine Field (PAE). Q400 crew bases in Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX), Spokane (GEG), Boise (BOI), and Medford (MFR).
- Horizon Air is the first E175 operator to achieve CAT III autoland operations. E175 RNP approach capability has also been achieved.
- Free unlimited travel on Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air on a stand-by basis. Fee-based and restricted stand-by travel on other airlines, discounted full-price fares on Alaska and Horizon
- IATA: QX, IACO: QXE
- ATC callsign: "Horizon Air"
- This page last updated: December 11th, 2019 (Quicktake and Hiring)
Trending from the Forum
In Part 135
Cape Air is looking more and more attractive to me these days, especially being able to live in the ...Replies: 2267 | Views: 1270119
PAE 175 base (Temporarily closed due to reduced demand/terminal closure. No Estimated Date of reopening)
Temporary Hiring Freeze for both QX new hires and QX Pilots moving to Alaska via Pathways.
All aircraft back in service as of June 2020 after April/May Schedule Reduction Current Upgrade Times: (Will change due to no vacancies being offered July/August)
E175 approximately 3 years Q400 approximately 2 Years
2 Classes per month per aircraft scheduled through 2020
Pilots with 1,000 hrs PT 121 experience are given the opportunity to upgrade after hiring
New hire bonus ($25,000 for Q400 pilots, $15,000 for E175 pilots) Click here for more information
Application window is open
For hiring info, please contact:
Horizon Air Recruiting
Company badge and jumpseat/CASS privileges are given on day 1. KCM badge approximately 1 week later.
Single occupancy hotel rooms during training
Company issued iPads
Horizon Air PAYSCALES
(Click and drag the sliders)
- Industry-leading Performance Based Pay (PBP) and Operational Performance Rewards (OPR) programs
- Minimum guarantee is 70 hours for lineholders and 75 hours for reserve
- Traning pay is 16 hours per week until completion of IOE
- 12 bids a year
- Most junior captain hired:
- SEA E175 June 11, 2018
- SEA Q400 September 17, 2018
- PDX E175 April 3, 2015
- PDX Q400 September 17, 2018
- PAE E175 April 2, 2018
- GEG Q400 January 22, 2018
- BOI Q400 September 18, 2017
- MFR Q400 August 20, 2018
401K: $1 for $1 up to 6%
401K Matching: Yes
A/B Fund: none